April 2002 - September 17, 2011
"Our First Baby"
It has been a sad weekend at our house. Yesterday morning, Abby found Sassy in the backyard. Based on her position, she had probably had a fatal seizure but I prefer the idea that she just fell asleep and just did not wake up. Either way, we are without a Sassy and we are sad. (Jeremy just asked what I was doing. "Writing Sassy's obituary." I think he thinks I have lost my mind!)
In May of 2002, Jeremy found Sassy at the city pool in Stamford, about to be taken to the pound. He rescued her and she instantly became our (my) baby. Seriously, until Abby was born 4 years later, Sassy was it. She went all the way to Colorado for a family ski trip because I could not bear to leave her in the kennel. I made her white chocolate covered milk bones for Christmas. She slept between my legs every night. When Abby came along, things changed some. Sassy was demoted from human to dog...but still very special dog. She battled lupus and won. She battled newborn baby and toddler and won. She even battled new cat and won. (Stripe is still here; she just gave up and accepted him.) She loved to play with her tennis ball, take random unattended jaunts through the neighborhood, and clean peanut butter jars as far as her tongue would reach. Most of all, she loved to be loved; she would paw you to death for more scratching behind her ears. Sassy was a good dog and will be missed.
We were able to have a little funeral and bury her beside the shed in our backyard. We plan to make a tombstone of sorts but that will ultimately be up to Abby. If she mentions it again, we will do it. If not, we will not. The whole burial process was a little much for Abby to process as she wanted to keep Sassy's body on our front porch. BLEH!
Fortunately, we know Sas is in a better place...she went to live with God. We believe she lives with Great Grandma who is able to throw her tennis ball all day for her. In addition, Abby says that Sassy has a new pink collar to replace her blue one (we kept it) and that she gets to eat icecream all the time. (I used to share icecream with her...one bite for me...one lick for Sassy...I know...grouse!)
And for fear of really being called crazy, this is the end of the obituary.

No comments:
Post a Comment