Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Cavity

My memory fails me, but after reviewing previous posts, I found that I never posted about Abby's first trip to the dentist last November. That was probably because the pictures are on my phone and transferring them to the computer was more than I could get done at that point (or now for that matter). Anyway, last fall she had an exceptional visit to the dentist...no cavities and minimal plaque build-up.

So imagine my panic and frustration when I found a horrid (cue a little exaggeration here) brown spot on one of her molars the other day. How could she possibly have a cavity? Abby was supposed to get my teeth and her daddy's eyes...not vice versa. Plus, we brush every single day, usually twice. Oh, it is all my fault...I didn't make her brush her teeth last Friday...and I still let her drink a cup of milk before bed (followed by rinsing with water). These thoughts were followed by my brushing her teeth with two different toothbrushes to see if they would get it off and making her gargle with mouthwash. Then, only for Jeremy to confirm that it "had to be a cavity." UGH. Suddenly, the dentist that Abby and I have both been going to wasn't good enough. SHE NEEDED A PEDIATRIC DENTIST!!! Here ensues the frantic search. After a week of me talking about it and still not making an appointment, Jeremy finally convinced me that we would really like his dentist, so I gave in and called.

This morning, we went. We LOVED her. (Insert plug for Amanda Godfrey.) Abby, who is not particularly fond of strangers, immediately started chatting with her about Liz not having any teeth yet. (Liz is Bitty Baby who, of course, joined us for the excursion.) And following the "counting of the teeth" game, it was determined that Abby Grace does NOT have a cavity. It is just a stain in the pit of her tooth. HALLELUIA!

1 comment:

Keri said...

I totally understand you freaking out about a cavity! As parent, you never really know how "good" of a job you are doing (you get glimpses, but since there is no standardized test...) Anyway, when I took Kacey for her first check-up, I finally felt validated that I had to be doing something right when they said she had no cavities!