Friday, April 17, 2009

Happy Birthday, Abby Grace


This post should actually be titled "Happy Birthweek," but because I haven't learned how to do the whole strikeout thing and it really wouldn't be that cute if I didn't, then I'm leaving it as is. Why am I calling it a birthweek? Because Abby Grace had not 1, not 2, but 3 birthday parties this year...none of which actually fell on her real birthday. This was obviously never my intention but after planning her "zoo party," she decided that all she really wanted was a "party with Daddy's boys in his locker room." I just simply could not deprive her of such a request as I think her love of the baseball team is the sweetest thing ever. (I am sure I won't think it is so sweet when she is 16!!)



How did the week go down? Last Saturday, we had her "Party at the Zoo and Picnic in the Park." The zoo/park part was somewhat abbreviated as Abby's guests were freezing so we returned home for the picnic, cake, and presents portion of the party. You never would have known there was a snag in the plans because the kids had a blast upon returning here...playing with Abby's toys and quick jaunts into the backyard. I should warn you that Jeremy has decided next year's party should be planned in a basement. So far, we have had snow, sun, and rain for her party days. Next year, we are anticipating a tornado! :)




On Monday, we had a Minnie Mouse cupcake party at Abby's little school. She was sooo excited when all of her friends sang Happy Birthday to her; she looked like she might burst! Mental note...do not bother with cupcakes for a 3 year old's birthday party; they will just lick the icing off the top and then proceed to throw the cupcake away. I should have just taken cupcake holders filled with icing. As much as she loved her party, she later reported that the best part was when she got to go home early with me. Oh well; I'm not particularly surprised...or disappointed for that matter.

Finally, on Wednesday, we drove to Borger for the long awaited birthday party in the locker room. This was also planned as our family party because Jeremy had a game on Abby's actual birthday. The "boys" (aka Mama signed their name to the card) had gotten Abby a balloon bouquet and a pink baseball bat and ball. She thought she was pretty cool stuff when she opened that bat and all the boys sang happy birthday to her. Even I was a little moved by the whole situation. Imagine 20 high school guys' deep voices singing happy birthday to your 3 year old daughter. One of the sweetest moments was when I thanked a couple of them for making my child's day. One of the seniors looked at me and said, "Well, she deserves it. You only turn 3 once." After the party, Jeremy, Uh (Jeremy's dad), Abby, and I went to eat at The Plaza where they also sang to Abby and gave her a yummy sopapilla...again which she just licked the cinnamon and sugar off the top and handed me the bread. Mmmmmm.

Overall, I think Abby Grace had a super fun birthday week!!! Oh, and turning 3 must be really hard work. She is curled up beside me on the couch, going on a 2 1/2 hour nap.

1 comment:

Keri said...

Happy Birthday Abby Grace! I am all for birthday week. Sometimes one day is just not enough!. The Zoo cake is amazing. I hope it tasted as good as it looked. And the picture of the baseball team with her is the sweetest thing, I can see how that might choke you up a little!