If you were to visit our house these days, you would hear a lot of "F" words. No, we have not suddenly taken a liking for cussing; F is just the letter we are focusing on first in speech. Last Friday, I took Abby for her initial speech evaluation. In terms of language, she is above and beyond, speaking in descriptive paragraphs. Her only setback, as expected, is her articulation. She does really well with her stop sounds such a B, D, P, and K but struggles with her continuous sounds such as F and S.
How do our sessions progress? We are on a home program where we see Karen (our therapist) once a week. Abby responded well to me so Karen felt that we would make more progress at home than we would seeing her multiple times a week. She gives us an assignment; we practice; we go back and hopefully perform our new tricks; then we get a new assignment. We will stay on each letter for 3-4 weeks before adding new material.
The first week was a success! I found that the car was a fun place to practice our F sounds, not to mention that I have a pretty captive audience while driving down the road. This week, we did things like F aaa and F ooo. Abby Grace "performed" nicely for Karen and we are moving on. Now we have flashcards with pictures of things like F ish and F eet and F an. I am typing this way because this is how we are saying these words...very Sesame Street...very fun!!! Plus we get to play with shaving cream (pictured), finger paint, and chalk to help us practice our sounds!!

Finally, I will leave you with a picture of Abby after we got home from speech on Friday. She could be found in the backyard, flaunting her flesh and fleeing through the fountains...okay, they were just sprinklers. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment